Match Report: Stockport Georgians 2 – 0 Manchester Central


Manchester Central were unable to make it 19 games unbeaten as they finished their first ever Premier Division season with a 2-0 defeat to a hardworking Stockport Georgians side.

Central started the match in positive fashion. Dario Germano received the ball from Josh Frith before making a driving run and getting the cross back into the striker who was only able to guide the ball over in the fourth minute.

Dario Germano battles for the ball. (cc: Mark Torbitt)

Josh Frith would get another chance in the 10th minute. He picked the ball up after the clearance from Central’s corner before hitting it on the half-volley – but the Georgians’ keeper saved the shot with ease.

The first goal came in the 18th minute. A lovely pass was played into Dieter Downey who managed to beat the offside trap and slot it past the on-rushing Ben Jupp. 1-0 Stockport Georgians.

Central continued to press the home side. Dan Burns picked the ball up just outside the box, beat two defenders with some quick feet but his shot flew just wide of the far post in the 22nd minute.

Central came close once again in the 26th minute with a swift counter attack but Josh Frith’s shot rose just wide of the top corner.

The hosts almost doubled their lead on the verge of half time. A counter-attack saw number eight through on goal but Ben Jupp kept it at 1-0 with a brilliant save.

Stockport Georgians were keen to seek revenge on Central after the visitors came out 2-0 victors in the last match between the sides in January.

The score was one nil at half time. However, Central knew they were well and truly still in this game.

On a side note, the media team put a lot of effort into creating a 28-page special programme for the last game of the season and it was great to see people reading them at the match. Thank you!

Matchday programme made possible thanks to Matchday Digital Media & Events.

The second goal of the afternoon would come in the 58th minute after another splitting through-ball caught Central’s defence off guard. Adam Gardiner rounded Ben Jupp to slot home and make it 2-0.

Paul Riley stopped it from becoming 3-0 with a brilliant goal line clearance in the 65th minute to give Central a faint chance of getting back into the game.

Danny Parker, who recently made his 100th appearance for Central, was able to cause trouble on the left hand side in the second half with a couple of underlapping runs late on.

The first chance came in the 79th minute when he received that pass from Josh Frith and whipped a ball into Marcello Ahrin but his shot went just over.

The second attack was almost a carbon copy of the first, with Josh Frith playing the ball into Danny Parker, but Marcello Ahrin was unable to keep the shot down in the 87th minute.

The defeat signalled Central’s first loss since November in a terrific run which saw them mount a title challenge and cup run in their first Premier Division season.

Despite the disappointing defeat, the playing staff, coaching staff and media team are extremely proud of what the club has achieved this season and look forward to hopefully going one step further next season in our new home.

Hear what Paul McGuire and Kyle Lord had to say about the match and Central’s season here:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.