Match Report: Manchester Central 4-1 East Manchester

Manchester Central extended their unbeaten run to 9 games as they comfortably beat East Manchester 4-1 at The Manchester College. 

Central took the lead through top scorer Cory Knight after beating Phil Pole when put through on goal by Mauro Mendes. Seconds later, Mendes doubled Central’s lead from the spot and Josh Frith put the home side 3 up just before half time. Charlie McGrath pulled one back for East Manchester but substitute Dan Burns sealed the 3 points for Central minutes before the final whistle.

East Manchester started well and had the first shot of the game, Dean Gibson had a volley from just outside the area but it didn’t trouble Ben Jupp.

Central began to grow into the game and used the pace of Knight and Frith to get in behind the visitor’s defence. This was without reward however until the 21st minute.

Mauro Mendes did brilliantly to glide past two East Manchester defenders before placing a through ball for Knight to run onto, he finished coolly past Pole to put Central ahead.

Central then had the chance to score a 2nd just 5 minutes later. Steve Doorman played a loose ball back towards goal which Mendes was able to intercept, he aimed to round keeper Pole who had no choice but to bring the attacker down. Mendes sent Pole the wrong way and doubled Central’s lead before the half hour mark.

Danny Parker has a surprising chance to take a free kick from the right hand side, his effort wasn’t far away as it traveled just over the keeper’s bar.

Central continued their recent attacking form and were 3 goals up before the break. A wonderful cross from the left found it’s way to Frith who struck a first time volley into the net past a helpless Phil Pole.

Central held a healthy lead although East Manchester did have the ball in the net before half time, however, Referee David Truman ruled the goal out for a foul on Ben Jupp.

The second half started slowly with no real chances for either side. It took until the 60th minute for a chance and it fell to Steve Doorman. A cross came in and Doorman, unmarked had a free header which he blazed over the bar from just 6 yards.

The away side did get a goal on 65 minutes. Sub Charlie McGrath drove past Parker before firing in off the post past Jupp.

They continued to press for a second and were nearly rewarded when a visitors attacker found space in the box but Central had Ben Jupp to thank as he made a superb save with his feet.

Central defended well for the last 30 minutes and eventually got a fourth through Dan Burns. The forward cut in from the right and fired a powerful shot past Pole to seal the points for Central.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.