Match report: Manchester Central vs Chadderton Reserves

Manchester Central move into the semi-finals of the Murray Trophy after beating Chadderton Reserves at penalties in a game that quickly turned in favour of the home team at Ten Acres Lane on Saturday.

Liam Ellis gave Central the hope of moving up towards to Murray Trophy after securing the equalising goal in the last few minutes of injury time, leading to an intense penalty shoot-out that saw Central be victorious with four goals to three.

The home team were 2-0 down at half time, following two goals from Jake Jacobs and Ashley Ainsworth for Chadderton, before a penalty in the 50th minute allowed Lamin Baldeh to get a goal back of Central.

A slow start from Central in the first half gave Chadderton the advantage of scoring two goal within five minutes of each other, showing a poor performance from Central’s defence as a free kick in the 32nd minute saw Jake Jacobs win the first goal of the match for Chadderton when he tapped the ball into the net as it rebounded off of Central keeper Jordan Hadlow.

The second goal for Chadderton saw Ashley Ainsworth volley the ball straight over Central’s defence and into the back of the net.

Although Central had multiple opportunities in the first half which were unsuccessful, one being a clear goal shot for Mauro Mendes, they were unable to secure a goal before the half time whistle.

Jordan Hadlow saving a penalty

However, Central dominated possession in the seconds half of the game as they came back with a much stronger form with more ball control and a forceful attack.

An early foul from Chadderton set up a penalty which was taken by Baldeh who slipped the ball past the away team’s keeper and into the top right corner of the net.

It wasn’t until the last minute of injury time that Central leveled with Chadderton, when Daniel Parker assisted in a brilliant goal by Ellis, who bounced the ball right past the opposing defence, leaving both teams in anticipation for the upcoming penalties as the ref blew the final whistle.

Chadderton were first to shoot in pens and were 2-1 up when Elvis Amoakwa was denied a goal, leaving Central nervous as the pressure on Hadlow to save at least one goal was growing by the minute.

Lamin Baldeh, Marcello Ahrin, Jordan Hadlow and Cory Knight were all successful in their shots meaning that Central secured the win after Hadlow saved two of Chadderton’s attempts.

In a game that saw two yellow cards for Kaine Martin and Daniel Parker at Central and one for James Curley at Chadderton, Hadlow walked away with another MOTM title for his strong performance throughout.

Match highlights for this game are now available here.

Central play a league game against Leigh Athletic next Saturday at home at Ten Acres Lane in a bid to get closer to top spot of the Division One table for a chance to move up to the Premier Division.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.